Sunday, March 22, 2009

hippopotanews

there was a knock at the door last week - well, more of an almighty great bang - and when i opened it, there, on the doorstep, was a hippopotamus who announced that he was my long lost cousin from africa...


personally, i thought this was unlikely as i didn't think rabbits and hippos were related, but he said his name was buttons hippo and, sure enough, he had his name written on the bottom of his feet which struck me as a very practical way of introducing yourself...


anyway, buttons hippo was soon going on and on about living beside the nile and about the beauty of the pyramids at sunrise and how surprising it was that a "world traveller like you hasn't ever been to egypt".

and, as if that wasn't bad enough, he was soon eating me out of house and home! it didn't take me long, therefore, to come to the conclusion that one of us had to go - and that it wasn't about to be me!

i decided to pack him off to live with brian and david's friends, sheila and roger, who have a kind of hippo sanctuary that is home to (among others) hippolyta hippo about whom i have written before.

so, happily, it looks like we've seen the back of him and apparently he's settling down ok in his new home in ascot.

ascot? you ask! well, yes, i know what you mean and I have to say if sheila and roger are thinking of trying to race him, they're probably in for a bit of a disappointment!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, gee thanks, coz. You've got a cheek. How many times have I had to sit through boring descriptions of your (unlikely) experiences in dull places like Venice and Emborios? And I hadn't even started telling you about my younger days up the Limpopo - which you would have found extremely educational and interesting.

I've contacted the local solicitors, Sue, Grabbitt & Runn, but for some reason the phone went dead as I was about half way through my explanation and I haven't managed to get through to them again. So I'll let it go this time.

But Hattie Hippo who lives here(and who looks like Grandma Giles on a bad day) reckons training me to run at Ascot would be a better investment than the money Roger gives away to the bookies at the racecourse.

Also - there's a common expression "rabbitting on", but I don't hear anyone saying "hippoing on". I rest my case.

Brian Sibley said...

buttons replies... just one question... how do you manage to operate the shift key with those damn great feet of yours?

Anonymous said...

That's for me to know and you to find out!

See what you're missing, not having me around any more -

Brian Sibley said...

buttons replies...

WHATEVER! i just thought you'd be more at home with others who shared your love of "mud, mud, glorious mud............."

hang on a minute, i just typed whatever in upper case how did i move the shift key...?

DAMN!

there, i've done it again... maybe i can only do it when i get angry...

SharonM said...

Dear, dear - what a silly, moustaken pair you are.

I really must protest at your actions - bringing the Buttons name into disrepute.

And anyway, my friend Elliot doesn't think either of you are a patch on me.

Yours sincerely

Buttons Mouse

ps - Don't even think of accusing me of falsely claiming to be Buttons. It says 'Mum' on my jacket and Elliot's duffel coat because that's who we work for.