Tuesday, August 11, 2015

an actor's life for me

as regular followers of this blog will know, i am avid play-goer and, last week, i got to visit a delightful little theatre in a barn behind the former home of dame ellen terry at smallhythe in kent.

sir john, sir larry, sir alec, sir ralph and lots of other sirs and dames have trod the boards here and i thought of their ghosts hovering nearby as i gave (with all due modesty) a particularly effective performance of  "once more on to the beach, dear friends..."


i also posed with dame ellen's bust (saucy!) and her blingiest frock in which brian seemed to be taking a disturbingly close interest...



1 comment:

Hippolyta said...

I so wish I'd been with you!

With my thespian experience and your charm, we could have rewarded the little stage with a rendering one of The Bard's best scenes - Romeo and Juliet, Antony and Cleopatra, Othello and Desdemona, Benedick and Beatrice. My Lady M has been met by stunned silence in many great theatres of the world, so me and Dame Ellen have a lot in common.

Except, of course that no-one has thought to make me a dame yet ...

I'm just saying ...